Monday, November 2, 2009

Where Do I Find This Stuff?

Azure Standard (www.azurestandard.com) is where we get most of our groceries. We actually spend less on food now than we did before we ate an organic, whole food diet! With Azure Standard, I order and pay online. The semi-truck comes from Oregon once a month to various locations around the western and central United States. Just figure out which drop spot is closest to you (Bee the Butterfly is my spot!), and enter that spot during the check-out process. The catalog can be fun or completely overwhelming. I've resorted to searching by keyword on the website to find what I need. Here are some of my favorites:

Santa Cruz Lemon and Lime Juice
5 lbs. arrowroot powder (replaces cornstarch and used for desserts)
Ezekiel 7-Grain bread and Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Natural Value Coconut Milk
Spectrum Coconut Oil
Spectrum Olive Oil Spray
Hain Safflower Mayo
5 lb. sea salt (cheap!)
Muir Glen organic ketchup (does have some sugar in it)
Natural Value garbanzo beans - bulk
Pacific Foods free-range chicken broth - bulk
Organic Hard White Wheat Berries - 25 lb bag
Rolled Oats - 50 lb bag
Kettle Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips - 12 x 18 oz box
Azure Alphabet Soup (makes a lot and kids like it!)
Muir Glen diced tomatoes, pizza sauce, tomato paste, and tomato sauce
Robbie's Worcestershire Sauce
Ezekiel Spaghetti Noodles
Rumiano Cheddar, white ($20 for 5 lbs - not bad for raw organic! I run it through my shredder and put them in freezer bags for pizza or whatever)
1 lb. cinnamon powder
organic butter, cultured, no salt (15 lb box and keep extra in freezer)
Baking soda
Rumford baking powder (non-aluminum)
Short-grain brown rice
Blue Diamond Almond Breeze (unsweetened original) - bulk
Azure Farm classic 3-bean chili mix (not amazing but tastes good and makes a ton for cheap)
Spectrum Balsamic Vinegar (for salad dressings mostly)
Bragg's Olive Oil (although I got the olive oil from Costco last time for cheaper and haven't noticed a difference)
Shelton Turkey Chili Mild

I buy beef from Wallace Farms. They deliver to three different Des Moines are locations once a month.

Irene (grassfedmeat@yahoo.com) delivers 12 dozen organic eggs to my house every other week for $3/dozen. They are even healthier and more delicious than grocery store organic eggs.

You can usually find someone locally that harvests and sells raw honey. Email me if you want the phone number for Ankeny. They sell it for $30/gallon and it's delicious!

Most everything else I buy from the Hy-Vee Health Market (10% off on Wednesdays!), Target, or Wal-Mart.

It does take some time to figure out a "system," but I promise that someday, it won't be so confusing! It will be just about as easy as your old grocery store shopping methods. I don't even have to think about it anymore.

2 comments:

  1. I just got the Azure Standard catalog in the mail yesterday. I need to do a little more research, but I like what I am finding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question for you - in looking at Azure on-line, the least expensive sea-salt ($1.90 for 5 lbs) says:

    "It is manufactured by vacuum evaporation of
    chemically purified brine".

    Do you know what this means exactly (especially the chemically purified part)?

    Carrie...

    ReplyDelete